„Rīgas karte” was established to develop, manage and provide modern technological solutions by integrating them with the structure of Riga public transport – buses, trams and trolleybuses.
„Rīgas karte” was established in 2007 with the task of creating an electronic payment system for Riga public transport and ensuring its functionality. The electronic payment system in public transport uses different types of e-tickets, which are activated by validators located in public transport vehicles. Since spring 2012 the electronic payment system also allows paying for services of the parking-lots operated by „Rīgas satiksme”.
Every day „Rīgas karte” manages the sale of tickets in the ticket distribution network, runs the equipment installed in buses/trolleybuses/trams and the central server of the electronic payment system.
“Rīgas karte” is a joint venture established in Latvia by shareholders from the public and private sectors:
- 51% of shares belong to RP SIA „Rīgas satiksme”, Riga public transport;
- 49% of shares belong to „Xerox”, a leading global company providing solutions for electronic payment systems.
„Rīgas karte” has concluded a contract with „Rīgas satiksme”, which is valid November 2020 and includes three stages:
- stage 1: system development – implementation and adjustment;
- stage 2: system management – system maintenance for 12 years, including ticket distribution and support of customer service centres;
- stage 3: system transfer – when the contract expires, „Rīgas satiksme” will become the owner of the electronic payment system.